Prevention of a UTI centers on keeping the urine moving through the urinary tract and avoiding contamination of the . Recommendations include:
- Drink plenty of water every day to flush out the urinary system.
- Urinate as needed; don't hold urine in for extended periods of time.
- After a bowel movement, wipe from front to back to keep stool bacteria away from the urethra.
- Avoid irritants to the urethra – avoid bubble baths if prone to recurrent UTIs, take showers instead of baths, and rinse soap off thoroughly.
- Urinate after sexual intercourse; this may help rinse out any bacteria that may have come in contact with the urethra.
- Avoid tight clothing and wear cotton underwear; it breathes and won't trap moisture like some synthetic fibers.
- Drink cranberry juice – some doctors recommend this to their patients; it may help prevent bacteria from sticking to the walls of the urethra.