- AACC's Point-of-Care Testing Professional Certification is designed for all personnel who perform diagnostic tests outside the central laboratory, which encompasses near-patient testing, point-of-care device selection and validation, quality management, operator training, regulatory compliance, and serving as a liaison with the central laboratory. As a Certified Point-of-Care Testing Professional, you will stand out as someone who has gone above and beyond to demonstrate proficiency in point-of-care testing.
- AACC's 14 online certificate programs offer timely, relevant content developed by highly regarded subject matter experts that you can take when and where you want. Participants receive a certificate of completion documenting their achievement and proficiency in the course material and each program qualifies for ACCENT® continuing education credits. AACC provides a web page on certification resources. AACC supports post-doctoral training in clinical laboratory medicine and credentialing of clinical laboratory practitioners through certification, licensure, and registration.
- The Clinical Chemistry Trainee Council serves as a unique program for residents and fellows in laboratory medicine by providing them with free educational materials and interactive tools to help guide them to a successful career.
- The American Board of Clinical Chemistry (ABCC) is a not-for-profit organization devoted to certification of individuals with doctoral level degrees in the practice of clinical chemistry, toxicological chemistry, and other clinical laboratory medicine disciplines.
Professional and Education Resources
Back to For Health Professionals>>
View a comprehensive list of career growth and educational aids to guide and inform you, whether you are exploring the field of clinical laboratory medicine or looking to advance your career.
Lab Medicine Certificate Programs/Resources
Lab Medicine and Medical Education Programs
Whether you need to maintain certification or are looking for a full education program, AACC has got the resources you need:
- Do you need to maintain your certification? Choose from a number of Continuing Education programs, including an ACCENT® program for current AACC members: Lab Tests Online Web Content Article Review.
- AACC's Clinical Chemistry Trainee Council is another great resource for education and career programs.
- The National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences web site also lists a number of educational programs.
- American College of Physicians: Continuing Medical Education & Maintenance of Certification
Health Profession Job and Career Opportunity Links
For information on job opportunities, there are several web sites with job banks:
- AACC's Clin Lab Job Center
- American Society for Clinical Laboratory Science's Career Center
- Clinical Laboratory Management Association's Career Center
- American Society for Clinical Pathology: Find A Job
Here are several links to other career resources, including for other health professions:
- Rasmussen College: 6 Signs a Medical Lab Tech Career is Right for You
- American Society for Clinical Pathology: Careers in the Medical Laboratory
- Purdue University Global: List of Nursing Specialties
- American Nurses Credentialing Center: Certification
- Nursing Scholarship Guidebook
- Affordable & Accredited Online Nursing Programs
- RegisteredNursing.org: Online Nursing Programs
- ConsumerAffairs.com: Compare Reviews for Online Nursing Programs
- Find Accredited Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) Programs | DNPPrograms.com
- Family Nurse Practitioner Programs
- Becoming a Family Nurse Practitioner: (PDF)
- Online Nursing Degrees
- Nursing.org: Online Nursing Programs
- Your Nursing Career Guide
- [email protected]: Nursing Blog
- University of Southern California, Department of Nursing: What Can I Do With My MSN Degree?
- RN to BSN
- CNAnursing.net: Guide to CNA Classes Online
- Nurse Practitioner Guides
Physicians and Physician Assistants
- American College of Physicians: Medical Student Career Path
- American College of Physicians: Residency Career Counseling
- American Academy of Physician Assistants: Career Central
- Public Health Online: A Guide to Public Health Careers
- Public Health Degrees: Career Guide
- Careers in Disease Prevention - Vaccinations & Immunizations
- Milken Institute School of Public Health, GW Public Health Online
- Med Assisting: Learning Resources for Medical Assistants
- Online Medical Assistant Programs & Certification
- Medical Assistant Courses Online
- What Does a Medical Assistant Do?
- Guide to Medical Assistant Associate Degrees
- Health Administration Degrees - degree programs and career information
- HealthcareAdministrationEDU.org: Master's in Health Administration
- Healthcareadministrator.org: Healthcare Administration Degree
- MHA Online: Master of Healthcare Administration
- Health Administration Programs
- Remington College: Resources
- Professional Resources for Pharmacists and Pharmacy Technicians
- Find Your Context's collection of Master Degree Guidebooks
- Data Science in the Health Care Industry
Scholarship Opportunity: The Stronger Scholarship
Do you know a junior or senior in college dedicated to the advancement of the mental health profession, either through research, patient advocacy, raising awareness, or community building?
This year, Healthline.com is putting a spotlight on depression, anxiety, and more by teaming up with the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), a patient advocacy organization dedicated to individuals with mental health conditions. Together with NAMI, Healthline is launching its 2019 scholarship program, which aims to assist and empower college students making a positive impact on mental health. The program will award four students with a $5,000 scholarship each. The awarded scholarships will include:
- Two scholarships awarded to undergraduate recipients making an impact on mental health
- Two scholarships awarded to graduate recipients making an impact on mental health
The deadline for applications has passed. Learn about the program and check out previous years' winners.
AACC Middle East
- Date: November 1-2, 2019
- Location: Mohammed Bin Rashid Academic Medical Center, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
AACC Middle East will feature AACC's globally-renowned education and scientific programs paired with a dynamic exposition. This 2-day conference will include emerging topics relevant to the Middle East, while the exposition will highlight the latest advances in mobile health, molecular diagnostics, mass spectrometry, next-generation sequencing, point-of-care, and automation. Learn More>>
In this webinar, Anders Grubb, MD, PhD, Professor in Clinical Chemistry, Lund University, will first focus on the pros and cons of cystatin C as a kidney marker and then highlight how shrunken pore syndrome (SPS) is diagnosed, the mortality of SPS, the most common death causes associated with SPS, the prevalence of SPS in different populations, and hypotheses concerning its pathophysiology and treatment.
Are you aware that cytomegalovirus (CMV), a TORCH infection, is one of the most common congenital infections and affects 0.3%–2.4% of live births in developed countries? Understanding TORCH infections before and throughout pregnancy can lead to healthier outcomes for mothers and babies. Learn about TORCH infections from the perspective of both a physician and a parent who experienced congenital infection during pregnancy.
Liver Function Tests (LFTs) are commonly ordered for the assessment and progression of liver disease, of which 20% are abnormal, the causes of which are often complex and often under investigated. This webinar presents a team's innovative best practice in which partners across the clinical care pathway collaborated to develop and implement an Intelligent Liver Function testing (iLFT) algorithm that maximizes detection of early liver disease, increases appropriate investigations and follow-up for patients with abnormal Liver Function Test (LFT) results, and delivers cost-effective high-quality patient care.
Thyroid disorders, including hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism, are common endocrinologic disorders found in pregnancy and can lead to numerous problems in the mother and baby. In this webinar you will learn the common clinical presentations of thyroid disorders in pregnancy and the diagnosis of each.
Hospital laboratories play an important role in today’s complex healthcare environment. Laboratories can serve as critical strategic partners for hospitals in the areas of population health initiatives, shifting the cost curve by lowering length of stay, and even assisting with physician recruitment and retention efforts. The laboratory is oftentimes not viewed as a strategic partner by hospital administration, and through this webinar, Duane J. Fitch will provide lab leadership with examples of how the lab can be a value added partner in the overall delivery of healthcare.
Worldwide, gestational diabetes mellitus affects approximately 14% of pregnant women. Gestational diabetes can lead to increased risks for both the mother and the fetus, including preeclampsia, macrosomia, and/or fetal death. This webinar focuses on understanding the diagnostic criteria for gestational diabetes in addition to the management and appropriate postpartum follow-up to ensure optimal outcomes for both mother and baby.
During pregnancy, an anatomical and biochemical transition occurs. Laboratory testing from the time pregnancy is first considered through the initial days of the newborn's life offer an accurate view of mother and baby’s health and well-being.
View the full Library of On Demand Webinars
- Outbreak of Lung Injury Associated with E-Cigarette Use, or Vaping: For Healthcare Providers, 10/17/19
- Press Release: Clinical Guidance for Health Care Providers Evaluating Patients with Lung Injury Linked to Use of E-cigarette, or Vaping, Products, 10/11/19
- CDC Current Outbreak List
- Vital Signs Report - Vaccinating Pregnant Women, 10/8/19
- Measles Update, Measles Elimination, 10/4/19
- Influenza (Flu), Information for Health Professionals, 8/29/19
- Flu Complications, People at High Risk, 8/27/19
- Vital Signs: Life-Saving Naloxone from Pharmacies, 8/6/19
- CDC 2020 Yellow Book, 7/18/19
- Vital Signs: Acute Flaccid Myelitis (AFM), 7/9/19
- Nationwide Shortage of Tuberculin Skin Test Antigens, 6/21/19
- Spotlight: Smoking and Diabetes, 5/31/19
- Vital Signs Report - Pregnancy-related Deaths, Saving Women's Lives Before, During and After Delivery, 5/7/19
- Hand Hygiene in Healthcare Settings, 4/2919
- Preparing for a Hurricane or Tropical Storm
- Public Health Grand Rounds: a monthly scientific presentation featuring the important work that CDC is doing in the U.S. and around the world
- Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR)
- MMWR Free Continuing Education
- Laboratory Communicators' Network
- Safe Healthcare Blog
- Fellowships, Internships and Learning Opportunities: Whether you are on a career track or deciding on which career you would like to pursue, CDC has many diverse fellowship, internship, training, and volunteer opportunities for students and professionals.
- CDC Undergraduate Public Health Scholars (CUPS) Program: Learn about programs that provide valuable exposure to a wide range of public health opportunities
- CDC Learning Connection - your source for information about public health training developed by CDC, CDC partners, and other federal agencies.
- National Center for Health Statistics
- Division of Laboratory Systems Free Educational Materials