Signs and Symptoms
- Low blood pressure
- Blood and/or protein in the urine
Some signs and symptoms of DIC are associated with bleeding and/or inappropriate clotting.
Significant bleeding usually occurs from at least three different sites.
- Blood in the stool or urine from internal bleeding
- Headaches and other symptoms associated with bleeding in the brain
- Bruising and the formation of small red dots on the skin (petechiae)
- Bleeding at the site of wounds, surgical sites, intravenous (IV) needle or catheter sites
- Mucosal bleeding – from the nose, gums, mouth, etc.
Symptoms depend on the location of blood clots and may include:
- Symptoms associated with organ dysfunction caused by blood clots blocking blood flow and oxygen to organs such as the liver and kidney, leading to liver and kidney failure
- Blackening of the skin caused by blockage from blood clots and poor blood flow to the skin
- Chest pain, coughing up blood, and/or difficulty breathing caused by blood clots in the lungs
- Chest pain and/or a heart attack caused by clotting in the heart
- Headaches and other symptoms associated with a stroke, caused by clotting in the brain