Lab Tests Online has made every effort to provide a website that observes best practices in developing a health information resource on the Internet, and, in particular, one that respects the privacy of its users, as reflected in the policies below. Should you have any questions about these policies, please contact us.
Please review our Editorial Policy.
To further our mission of making reliable laboratory testing information – reviewed by the professionals who do the testing – available to the public, Lab Tests, LLC (“we,” “our” or “us”) accepts advertising under strict guidelines. For example, we accept only those advertisements we believe are compatible with our mission.
We maintain a distinct separation between advertising content and editorial content. The editorial content on our LabTestsOnline.org site is based solely on current scientific literature and the expertise and practical experience of the site’s Medical Review Board and other experts who may be consulted from time to time. Content is developed and reviewed in accordance with our Editorial Policies. All advertising content on our website is clearly labeled as an advertisement.
We also maintain affiliate partnerships with companies in the lab testing industry and provide links to those companies’ websites on our site. If you click on a link to one of these companies and purchase a test from them, then we receive a commission.
Examples of advertising that may be allowed on our site, provided they are compatible with our mission as stated previously, include:
- Corporate image advertising or corporate sponsorship
- Over-the-counter medications approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Prescription drugs approved by the FDA
- Consumer products with a health connection
- Fitness products or services
- Medical products or devices
- Pharmacies (retail and online)
- Health insurance
- Hospitals and other medical facilities
The following types of advertisements are prohibited on our site:
- Weapons, firearms, ammunition, or fireworks
- Gambling and lottery
- Pornography or related themes
- Political advertisements
- Religious advertisements
- Advertisements that claim to have a “miracle” cure or method
- Advertisements directed at children
- Unsubstantiated health claims or product promotions without independently confirmed health benefits
- Ads that do not link to the full rules for any market research or promotion
These guidelines are intended to provide general guidance. They are not all-inclusive or exhaustive and are subject to change at any time.
For questions about our advertising policy, email us: [email protected]
Logo Usage, Linking and Licensing Guidelines
Please send all requests for permission to use the “Lab Tests Online” name or logo to Lab Test, LLC (“we,” “our” or “us”) at [email protected].
When permission is granted, the “Lab Tests Online” name and logo may be used only in a referential manner for informational, educational and historical purposes in connection with programs that promote information found on the LabTestsOnline.org web site. Any other uses are unauthorized without our prior express written consent.
Without limiting the above:
- The “Lab Tests Online” name or logo may not be used to endorse any commercial product or service.
- The “Lab Tests Online” name or logo may not be used to solicit funds or other contributions of monetary value.
- The “Lab Tests Online” name or logo may not be used in any manner that could give rise to the appearance of such endorsement or solicitation.
The logo image must link to https://labtestsonline.org or include a caption that links to https://labtestsonline.org in accordance with the linking guidelines below. When the logo is linked, an alt tag that says “Patient Education On Blood, Urine, and Other Lab Tests | Lab Tests Online” must be included.
When using our name or logo:
- DO NOT alter the logo in any way.
- DO NOT change the color of the logo.
- DO NOT change the position of any element incorporated into the logo.
- DO NOT add anything to the logo such as outlines, boxes or other objects.
- DO NOT distort the logo in any matter.
- DO NOT abbreviate the name.
- When using the name in plain text, DO NOT make it one word (without spaces) or add hyphens.
- Always use the name and words in the logo in English and do not translate them into other languages.
You may not incorporate or include, in whole or in part, any “Lab Tests Online” name or logo into your company name, product name, service name, trademark, logo or Internet domain name. In addition, the “Lab Tests Online” name and logo may not be used in a manner that could impair or otherwise damage the goodwill associated with the “Lab Tests Online” brand or our company. The “Lab Tests Online” name or logo should therefore not be used in connection with unlawful, obscene, excessively violent, hazardous or otherwise poor-taste activities. In the event of material breach of these instructions, the license to use the name and logo shall terminate.
1. We encourage other web sites to link to the LabTestsOnline.org home page and, if contextually appropriate, to pages deeper within the site. We do not charge a fee for such linking.
2. We do not, however, permit viewing of LabTestsOnline.org pages within a separately branded environment.
3. All links to LabTestsOnline.org should either open a new blank window or first clear all contents of the current window before displaying the LabTestsOnline.org page. The LabTestsOnline.org URL should appear in the address bar.
We ask that you send us your web site’s URL for our records, noting where you have linked to LabTestsOnline.org. If we find that linking guidelines are not being followed, you will be notified and required to comply.
Information and materials presented through the LabTestsOnline.org site are solely and exclusively our intellectual property. Any use of materials on this web site, including reproduction, modification, distribution or republication, without our prior written consent is strictly prohibited.
Our licensing program provides an opportunity for companies and institutions to offer peer-reviewed, comprehensive lab test information. Licensing is available for both online use and hard copy print of our articles, including full or partial test article content and condition, screening, news, and feature articles.
Please email [email protected] for more information.
Code of Conduct
Lab Tests Online has been designed to comply with the eight principles of the Health On the Net (HON) Code of Conduct for medical and health web sites. The HON code logo at the bottom of each page reflects a commitment to providing credible medical information. Click on the HONcode logo to learn more.
The HON Code of Conduct lists the following principles:
1. Authority: Any medical or health advice provided and hosted on this site will only be given by medically trained and qualified professionals unless a clear statement is made that a piece of advice offered is from a non-medically qualified individual or organisation.
Lab Tests Online: All medically-related information on the site has been culled from qualified resources. Sources used are listed at the end of each article. All test, condition, feature, screening, and news articles are reviewed and approved by the Medical Review Board, which is comprised of highly qualified laboratory and medical professionals.
2. Complementarity: The information provided on this site is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her existing physician.
Lab Tests Online: The primary objective of the site is education of the public about laboratory testing in order to facilitate improved doctor-patient communication. We encourage patients and caregivers to learn as much as they can about their health care so that they can become more active partners with health care providers regarding their or their loved one’s medical care. Article content often reminds patients to speak with their doctors about what they have learned here.
3. Privacy: Confidentiality of data relating to individual patients and visitors to a medical/health Web site, including their identity, is respected by this Web site. The Web site owners undertake to honour or exceed the legal requirements of medical/health information privacy that apply in the country and state where the Web site and mirror sites are located.
4. Attribution: Where appropriate, information contained on this site will be supported by clear references to source data and, where possible, have specific HTML links to that data. The date when a clinical page was last modified will be clearly displayed (e.g. at the bottom of the page).
Lab Tests Online: Because this site is designed for patients and caregivers, we have not included references to source data in the text for the sake of readability. We do list sources used at the end of each article, and we do keep records of specific references off-line. If there is a question regarding a source for a specific piece of information, please contact us.
At the top of every page containing substantive content, we include the date that the page or article was last reviewed and the date it was last modified.
5. Justifiability: Any claims relating to the benefits/performance of a specific treatment, commercial product or service will be supported by appropriate, balanced evidence in the manner outlined above in Principle 4.
Lab Tests Online: While we may discuss laboratory tests and treatments in general terms based on currently available scientific literature, we do not advocate or promote specific commercial products or services.
6. Transparency: The designers of this Web site will seek to provide information in the clearest possible manner and provide contact addresses for visitors that seek further information or support. The Webmaster will display his/her E-mail address clearly throughout the Web site.
Lab Tests Online: Each page on this web site clearly indicates that LabTestsOnline.org owns the copyright and is the site producer. Any sponsors or partners are presented on the home page as well as on the Sponsors and Partners pages, with brief descriptions of each organization and a link to its web site. Other contributors to this web site are listed in the Acknowledgments section, and a list of current and past members of the Medical Review Board is also provided. We have not provided e-mail addresses for specific individuals on this site out of respect for their privacy; however, questions to the Webmaster can be submitted using the Contact Us page.
7. Financial disclosure: Support for this Web site will be clearly identified, including the identities of commercial and non-commercial organisations that have contributed funding, services or material for the site.
Lab Tests Online: We maintain affiliate partnerships with companies in the lab testing industry and provide links to those companies’ websites on our site. We receive commissions from those companies if you click on the link to their site and purchase a test from them. Additional funding is derived from licensing revenue.
8. Advertising policy: If advertising is a source of funding it will be clearly stated. A brief description of the advertising policy adopted by the Web site owners will be displayed on the site. Advertising and other promotional material will be presented to viewers in a manner and context that facilitates differentiation between it and the original material created by the institution operating the site.
Lab Tests Online: We use the proceeds from advertising to help sustain the site. The advertising policy is available here, and all ads are clearly labeled as advertisements. We maintain a distinct separation between advertising content and editorial content.