AACC has designed Lab Tests Online to comply with the eight principles of the Health On the Net (HON) Code of Conduct for medical and health web sites. The HON code logo at the bottom of each page reflects a commitment to providing credible medical information. Click on the HONcode logo to learn more.
The HON Code of Conduct lists the following principles:
1. Authority: Any medical or health advice provided and hosted on this site will only be given by medically trained and qualified professionals unless a clear statement is made that a piece of advice offered is from a non-medically qualified individual or organisation.
Lab Tests Online: All medically-related information on the site has been culled from qualified resources. Sources used are listed at the end of each article. All test, condition, feature, screening, and news articles are reviewed and approved by the Editorial Review Board, which is comprised of highly qualified laboratory and medical professionals.
2. Complementarity: The information provided on this site is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her existing physician.
Lab Tests Online: AACC's primary objective is education of the public about laboratory testing in order to facilitate improved doctor-patient communication. We encourage patients and caregivers to learn as much as they can about their health care so that they can become more active partners with health care providers regarding their or their loved one's medical care. Article content often reminds patients to speak with their doctors about what they have learned here.
3. Privacy: Confidentiality of data relating to individual patients and visitors to a medical/health Web site, including their identity, is respected by this Web site. The Web site owners undertake to honour or exceed the legal requirements of medical/health information privacy that apply in the country and state where the Web site and mirror sites are located.
4. Attribution: Where appropriate, information contained on this site will be supported by clear references to source data and, where possible, have specific HTML links to that data. The date when a clinical page was last modified will be clearly displayed (e.g. at the bottom of the page).
Lab Tests Online: Because this site is designed for patients and caregivers, we have not included references to source data in the text for the sake of readability. We do list sources used at the end of each article, and we do keep records of specific references off-line. If there is a question regarding a source for a specific piece of information, please contact us.
At the bottom of every page containing substantive content, we include the date that the page or article was last reviewed and the date it was last modified.
5. Justifiability: Any claims relating to the benefits/performance of a specific treatment, commercial product or service will be supported by appropriate, balanced evidence in the manner outlined above in Principle 4.
Lab Tests Online: While we may discuss laboratory tests and treatments in general terms based on currently available scientific literature, we do not advocate or promote specific commercial products or services.
6. Transparency: The designers of this Web site will seek to provide information in the clearest possible manner and provide contact addresses for visitors that seek further information or support. The Webmaster will display his/her E-mail address clearly throughout the Web site.
Lab Tests Online: Each page on this web site clearly indicates that the American Association for Clinical Chemistry (AACC) owns the copyright and is the site producer. Sponsors and partners are presented on the home page as well as on the Sponsors and Partners pages, with brief descriptions of each organization and a link to its web site. Other contributors to this web site are listed in the Acknowledgments section, and a list of current and past members of the Editorial Review Board is also provided. We have not provided e-mail addresses for specific individuals on this site out of respect for their privacy; however, questions to the Webmaster can be submitted using the Contact Us page.
7. Financial disclosure: Support for this Web site will be clearly identified, including the identities of commercial and non-commercial organisations that have contributed funding, services or material for the site.
Lab Tests Online: The primary source of funding for the site comes from corporate sponsors, who are all clearly identified on the home page and again on the Sponsors page, which includes brief descriptions of each organization and a link to its web site. Additional funding is derived from licensing revenue, individual donations, and the generous support of AACC.
8. Advertising policy: If advertising is a source of funding it will be clearly stated. A brief description of the advertising policy adopted by the Web site owners will be displayed on the site. Advertising and other promotional material will be presented to viewers in a manner and context that facilitates differentiation between it and the original material created by the institution operating the site.
Lab Tests Online: Lab Tests Online uses the proceeds from advertising to help sustain the website. The advertising policy is available below, and all ads are clearly labeled as advertisements. AACC maintains a distinct separation between advertising content and editorial content.